rm onyx high metallics

Welcome Forums Main Forum Paint and Refinish rm onyx high metallics

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  travis 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

travis
    Participant

Im in need of another gun. I am currently using prolite with 1.4 and the te 20 cap. And it does fine for most colors, however I am having trouble with mottled blends on high metallic colors. I have made adjustments and they are getting better but still not to my liking. I am using hb 055 wet bed and diluting the base with that as well. What are you guys using for these type colors?

Chris
    Participant

How’s it going bondobob,I’m using the rm solvent and having no issues with high metallic blends not even using a wet bed have you tried the solvent

zach
    Participant

Apply your effect coat before your last coverage coat flashes out, 75%overlap and increased speed to 1.5 times faster than coverage with 8_10 inch distance

travis
    Participant

I have used solvent a few times with good results. I may try using it more.
    I did recently start applying the drop coat while it was still wet, that has helped however im doing about 50% overlap at about 12 inches. Will try moving in and faster. Thanks guys. Like I said I need to get another gun (im running 3 booths!) And wasnt sure if I should spend the extra for a sata or iwata, or if I can make this gun do the trick.

Jayson Munro
    Participant

Hi Bob,not sure if this will help you as I’m not an onyx user so take it or leave it 😛 Have talked to a few other onyx painters and they say you need a 1.5 tip (Jimmo has said this also) When you are blending are letting the trigger go?I used to do this as well combined with flicking the wrist,with waterborne it would leave my blends looking grainy and dry.I then worked with a skilled tech rep who showed me a blending technique very similar to pull starting a lawn mower and don’t let off the trigger.I also do the drop coat much different.10-14 inch distance,drop my pressure down 5-7psi, full trigger pull, 50% overlap.Basically nice big droplets very similar to rain drops landing on the beach.Maybe give it a try and see if it makes a difference.I have also been using an old NR2000 sata for base coat and couldn’t be happier,the teknas are great guns but I just think this old relic has better metallic control HTH :cheers

travis
    Participant

Will give it a try. I have stopped flicking the wrist. And have been trying to “throttle” the trigger. Its hard to stop old habbits. Im halfway down the panel when I realize what im really doing lol. Thanks for the input.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.