E-Coat and Filler

Welcome Forums Main Forum Auto Body Repair E-Coat and Filler

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Richards 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Richard Dittenber
    Participant

Does anyone have experience in using filler on e-coating? Does it have to be removed prior to use of filler? Or can the filler be applied over the e-coat?

Jon
    Participant

I would absolutely scratch up the e-coat with 80 grit in the area your going to be using filler then finish off the filler with 180 and then 320-400 any raw plastic left around the edges then use a plastic adhesion promoter in that area before priming

Simon Richards
    Participant

DA the surrounding area with p180 to scuff it up, but you don’t need to remove the e-coat to bare metal. 80 grit is not necessary. While you can use 80 grit, DA 120 grit is just fine and can be highfill primed right over. Less sanding required on the edges where you don’t have filler. You can go to 180 over the repaired area if you like.

Also, I’m not sure why you’re bringing up plastic in this thread Jonas? No plastic (incl. PP, TPE or ABS) is ever e-coated.

Jon
    Participant

Oh wow I thought he had mentioned a bumper cover, stupid mistake I also thought all primer on aftermarket parts was considered e-coat learn somethin knew everday haha so what exactly is e-coat?

Simon Richards
    Participant

It’s all good! :cheers

E-Coat or electrocoating is only applied to metals. You can read about it here: [url]http://www.ppg.com/location/chinaindcoat/en/technology/electrocoating/howecoatworks/Pages/default.aspx[/url]. E-coated parts need to be primed before topcoat (either WOW or highfill). Some cheap/budget shops will save money and time by painting directly onto the E-Coat but this will lead to premature chipping and possible delamination.

Plastic (PP-E and ABS) bumpers are mostly supplied in a raw substrate format, and (unless they are damaged and require repair) simply require cleaning with a pre-prep solution such as Presta Scuff Stuff which is applied with a (old/well used) grey or gold 3M Scotchbrite pad and water. This is then followed with a plastic adhesion promoter and topcoat.

Some manufacturers such as BMW supply their bumpers pre-primed. In this instance, a light scuffing with a P600 or P800 dry pad is required followed with decontamination with prepsol prior to topcoat.

HTH!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.