1968 Jaguar E Type

Welcome Forums Main Forum Restoration 1968 Jaguar E Type

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Fran
    Participant

Jaguar Heritage in England is building six new Lightweight E Type race cars. Here is a link to the announcement:
    http://www.gizmag.com/continuation-e-type-jaguar-prototype/33312/

Attached is a pic of the prototype displayed at the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours:

We are restoring a 1968 Jaguat E Type and want to paint it this metallic silver.
    I contacted Heritage and they indicated that the metallic silver paint is a proprietary color only for new Lightweight buyers.
    The closest that I have found is BASF Carizzma light silver. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this paint and/or pics to share? Any other ideas on how to replicate this Lightweight metallic silver? Thanks very much.

Anonymous

It looks to me like Alubeam Silver or Liquid Metal (found on Mercedes and Porche). I was just doing a sprayout card on it today. BASF more then likely uses the specialty pigment in the carizzma colors. They definitely use it in some of their Foose custom colors.

Fran
    Participant

Hey, thanks so much. That really looks like it.
    After looking at pics of a Mercedes SLS with alubeam and a Porsche with liquid metal as well as a Nissan GT with super silver, I think that is it. Thanks again.

Anonymous

No problem. In RM & Glasurit it requires a specialty toner to achieve the effect. The way it was explained to me was normally a metalic would reflect like a crumpled up piece of tin foil, this will reflect as it it were laying flat. BASF also has a special procedure for applying these colors, the prep work has to be extremely fine and a pre-coat of a transparent binder or something to fill in the scratches is required. Just a heads up, do a bit of research before applying this stuff.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.