This shows a minor scrape on a Mazda Miata. The scratch was feathered out, primed and painted using BASF paint. There are many ways to get the job done, this is what was done here:
1. The scratch was feathered out using 280 grit paper until each color was separated around 1/2″.
2. Next it was backsanded to allow space for the primer to adhere.
3. It was primed with 2 coats of Glasurit 285-10/20 direct to metal urethane primer and allowed to dry. It was primed with a devilbiss finishline HVLP gun with a 1.6 tip.
4. Next it was blocksanded using 320 paper, then final sanded with some 400-500 grit paper. Using a block is optional there but recommended.
5. After taping it up it was painted using RM Diamont basecoat in 3 coats. Each coat was allowed to flash about 5 minutes before the next one. Then 15 minutes before clearing. An Iwata LPH400 was used to apply the basecoat at about 20 psi.
6. The clear coat used here was BASF DC5335 Glamour clear. It was applied in 2 coats with about 10 minutes between coats. It was applied using an Iwata W400 with about 26 PSI at the gauge.
A few dirt nibs were colorsanded and polished afterward.
220 total views, 3 views today