Valspar Z9000 Question

Welcome Forums Main Forum Paint and Refinish Valspar Z9000 Question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sam Latimer Sam Latimer 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sam Latimer
    Sam Latimer
    Participant

Hi ! I been using Valspar Z 9000 for a while . I use HPC 1 ( med Activator) most the time. but in summer it dries a bit fast on large area repairs. I add 172 or 173 reducer to slow it down. but I find if you add too much reducer I’ll have dull back when dries. has anyone used HPC 0 (slow activator) ? the tech bulletin doesn’t mention adding any reducer to this clear. my jobber doesn’t carry HPC 0 and sayes it not for auto refinishing. can any one out there give me any feedback on this? Thank’s !!!

Profile photo of zach
    zach
    Participant

You are getting your die back from putting reducer into a clear that doesn’t call for it. Get the slower activator and you will be fine

Sam Latimer
    Participant

Thanks, but my jobber does not carry a slower activator. he says it’s not for automotive use. I was wondering if any one has used HPC 0 in valspar Z9000 ?

Profile photo of zach
    zach
    Participant

So the clear you are using is for automotive use but one of the activators designed for it isn’t….? Hmmm sounds weird, and why wouldn’t your jobber carry something a customer needs?

Sam Latimer
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I e mailed Valspar for a answer. . there is only one valspar jobber in my area. his response has led me to seek a second opinion from someone that uses Z9000. or from a jobber that sells Valspar clears

Profile photo of Charles Smith
    Charles Smith
    Participant

I battled this last summer trying different harder and reducer selections. Still died back. Ended up just not using it anymore. Look into the debeer line. They have some good speed clears. If your set on the valspar clear use some of the debeer reducer with it.

Chuck

Sam Latimer
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. . I talked to the Valspar tech rep. yesterday. he said he doesn’t agree with the jobber. and said to use HPC 0 in hot weather and larger area’s. and he contacted the jobber with the correct info. and I’m getting a can to try. (hopefull the jobber will stock it). he also said not to add more than 5 % reducer .( 173-174 reducer) and try not adding any at all. the major paint line carried in this area is PPG. . I priced it and Valspar is more cost efficient. but might have to switch. I been happy with Valspar. I used a few different clears by them . and found Z9000 works well. but as we get into summer . It worries me. theres other brands x clears out there that he sell’s , but like using one brand throughout the job. and that life in a small mid west town !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.