Spot primer

Home Forums Main Forum Introductions Spot primer

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tim Tim 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tim
    Tim
    Participant

Hi ALL
    I’m new to the forum and have a limited amount of painting. I have painted a few motorcycles in the past and I am getting ready to paint my own. I have a question about spot priming. I have seen other opinions on the subject but none that address directly what I am doing. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!
    My current harley is green….like…GREEN. The plan is to remove all the freaking pin stripes that are UNDER the clear, then spot in with epoxy primer, sand the whole thing with 320 and then base with black. Follow with red flake in SG150, then 3 coats clear, wet sand, re-clear.
    Question: Is priming the whole bike necessary, or is spot priming on the areas that I had to remove the stripes and possibly bondo enough?

Thanks tons!!

Profile photo of matthew mcintyre
    matthew mcintyre
    Participant

hey well i supose it depends on how much time you have. If it was me and my own car bike ect.. i would completely knock it all back and prime everything that was being painted so you know you have a good foundation to work off.

tbh you have to flat everything anyway so you might aswell put a couple of coats on just so you know nothing is going to crack up or go wrong which will give you a head ache. Use black primer aswell and that will save you some base coat money 🙂

but if you want to do it they way you describe yes it will work, thats what we do when repairing cars. Only prime what we need to.

Profile photo of Tim
    Tim
    Participant

Sweet. Thanks for the info. In a pinch it would work that was my biggest concern.
    I was leaning towards doing the whole thing bc I fig’d that was the best way, but I was thinking $$ also. I suppose I should just spend the extra for peace of mind.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.