Painting Jeep Fenders

Welcome Forums Main Forum Introductions Painting Jeep Fenders

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sam Latimer Sam Latimer 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tim Gillis
    Tim Gillis
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I am new to body work and am looking for some advice on an upcoming project. I recently moved to Switzerland and was quoted 800 Swiss franks (over 1000 dollars Canadian) to paint my two new jeep fenders so i’ve decided to paint them myself. The two fenders are powder coated black from the factory and I will be painting them PW1 Stone White. I’ll list the steps and products I plan on using and you can tell me if its wrong or if there is a better way.

The fenders look like this http://www.jeepwranglerfenders.com (the fender flares and hood cover most of them so there is only a small part of them that need to look good)

I plan to use a enamel paint rather then base coat clear coat system to lessen the chances of making a mistake with the clear coat.

Step one – lightly wet sand fender with 500 grit, wipe off with wet cloth then with lacquer thinner then with tack cloth.

Step two – (Do I need to use sealer or can I go straight to primer?) Spray with primer, 2 coats then wet sand 500 grit and clean with wet cloth, thinner, tack cloth. (should I sand between the two coats of primer or just after the second one?)

Step three – Spray with finish paint, 3 coats possibly adding more thiner to the final coat for a smoother finish (careful of runs with the thinner paint)

Step four – Buff with fine cut compound, polish and then wax.

-Should I use an epoxy primer or regular filler primer?
    -Do I need to use a sealer? what exactly does a sealer do? I thought the primer sealed it
    -How much paint and primer do I need? I was thinking a litre of primer and a litre of paint plus thinner and activator.

This is the website I plan to order from if anyone speaks german http://www.autolackcenter.de/profix/pri … index.html

Thanks for reading all that, any help would awesome

Profile photo of Sam Latimer
    Sam Latimer
    Participant

I’d shop around for a price you can afford. you might be disappointed in the way it turn out doing it yourself and find out it cost you more taking it to a shop after you painted it .maybe try painting on a older fender or something smaller. so you can check color match and see if the finish is what you want.

Profile photo of Tim Gillis
    Tim Gillis
    Participant

Thank you for your advice however I have already shopped around and 800 was the lowest price I could find (all business owners are criminals here in Switzerland). I didn’t mention that I am very handy I do all my own mechanical and metal work. I have also done lots of painting in the past with aerosols (I know its not the same). I’m also painting the tub (floor) of my jeep and was planning to work on my spray gun skills then before I paint the fenders. I’m not saying I can get a professional finish myself but hopefully with some help it will be good enough for me. I would still appreciate advice on the correct paint systems to use.

Thanks

Profile photo of Sam Latimer
    Sam Latimer
    Participant

You should always follow the paint manufacturer’s recommendations ! I the more work you put into preparing something that you’re going paint the better your finish will turn out. you said your going to use enamel paint ? most enamels I used you paint and don’t need to polish. enamels are softer slow drying . a polyurethane is more a hybrid enamel more durable , harder finish. any system you’re going to use you should practice on a older panel . maybe an old fender . to see what your results will be. I’d try to keep it simple . sand , prime , sand with recomend grit sandpaper and you may find you will have to reprime and then paint. I hope this has been of some help to you !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.