Onyx low voc solvent

Welcome Forums Main Forum Paint and Refinish Onyx low voc solvent

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of zach zach 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Anyone using onyx low Voc solvent? If anyone is what’s your reviews on it?

Profile photo of gunner
    gunner
    Participant

I’m curios to. Haven’t herd a whole lot. Since both water and solvent can be made by the same toners. I’m curios to what shops are using more. The water or the solvent.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

I’m using onyx and as of right now I’m using more solvent than water,some of the color matches with solvent are not as good as water.so I have to pick my battles

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

Our painter uses solvent for some jambs and underhood. He puts a hardener in it so he doesnt have to clear. Matches the factory low gloss appearance pretty well

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Hello there
    So your painter uses onyx water on the exterior?

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

Yes. I think he may also use the solvent on small repairs sometimes. As for color match with water… its hit or miss… some dont match to chips once sprayed

Profile photo of gunner
    gunner
    Participant

I wonder why the water formulas seem to match better. Is it the way the pigment saturates into the water vs the solvent. Or are the formulas diferent from water to solvent. For example if you were to mix the same formula in water and solvent would the formula be the same from water to solvent? Other than the binders.

Profile photo of nick
    nick
    Participant

i am told there is very little technology put into solvent these days, as water has been pretty mainstream for many years.

When i stopped using spies solvent about 8 years ago i noticed at that time any brand new colours out match’s were very hit and miss
    older colours were still okay as the formulas were tried and tested.

I think you will find as times goes on getting a match in solvent will prove problematic.

also any colour decks/chips that have been supplied by your paint company if they are years old you are as well throwing them in the skip lol, paint companys are trying to move away from supplying chips as it cost many many ££/$$ to create these fans and supply to the whole industry with them, they will have us all on colour cameras in the next few years, thats how the new spies system works i believe.

Profile photo of gunner
    gunner
    Participant

I just figered in a system like the BASF. We’re the toners and pigments are the same for both the water and solvent. That the matches would be simalar from water to solvent. But the binders and additives must effect the colors some.

Profile photo of nick
    nick
    Participant

[quote=”jim” post=36376]I just figured in a system like the BASF. We’re the toners and pigments are the same for both the water and solvent. That the matches would be similar from water to solvent. But the binders and additives must effect the colors some.[/quote]

Good point !! one i brought up myself many years ago

Yes when i first started using water back in 98 i remember asking at the water demo, if a standard shade matches in solvent does that mean it will match in water, same goes for a popular variant of a colour, light shade for instance

They said yes……… well they had to didnt they or that would mean their variant fans would have to be different from water to solvent !!!!

But it was all bull, all the special shades we had sorted for certain colours were no longer applicable after the switch to water.

Though i have to admit water matches are generally better.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Yes your right about the color matches,any color that has HB203 in it is out to lunch because the black seperates and the color becomes to light so I have to tint or spray it ir water.

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

I talked to the painter, he says that the solvent seems to be really thick ready for use. Also the color is a little off water to solvent even though the formula is the same other than the reducers. Must be the way the pigments lay down betseen the two.

Profile photo of zach
    zach
    Participant

I think the solvent is much thinner than the water version, colors will be a little different from water to solvent. Different viscosity, evaporation rates and spray technique.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.