newcomer

Home Forums Main Forum Introductions newcomer

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Chris 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Greetings! I’ll wager there are a LOT of members here in SoCal, and happy to add my name to the list. Although a general contractor by trade, I’m interested in many different things. I have built houses, have a cabinet shop, have restored many vintage motorcycles, built and restored boats, and still have all my fingers!
    My latest project is a 1979 BMW R100RT that is in dire need of a repaint. I would like to do the fairing, fenders, tank, and sidecovers to look like polished and riveted aluminum alloy. I airbrushed crash helmets for awhile during my wasted youth, and currently have a 4′ X 4′ X 7′ open spray booth, various hvlp and lvlp guns, good compressor, filter/regulator, and experience using both 2 part and single stage paints. What I’m looking for is someone to steer me in the right direction for a base color and clear coat to get that polished aluminum look – any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of matt
    matt
    Participant

Glasurit have a really fine silver (90-905) that looks like polished metal. If you end up using it or any other systems equivalent you will want to put a coatvof colourless base down first to fill up any sanding scratches. Heres a code for it to hrlp you find it “9709” its a Mercedes wheela silver

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Thanks hvatos, I’ll check out the Glasurit. Looks like a chrome-type finish clear-coated and buffed out with 0000 steel wool might be the ticket.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

PPG also have a special siver that looks like aluminium which they also use for wheels. Dupont/Cromax have one that is specifically for the Nissan colour that looks like aluminium.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.