LKQ bumper paint wrinkls if its sealed

Home Forums Main Forum Introductions LKQ bumper paint wrinkls if its sealed

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sam Latimer Sam Latimer 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jake
    jake
    Participant

Hey guys, its been a while since ive been too the site so i just created a new account. anyways on to my query, is any one else having the problem of paint wrinkling when they apply sealer (DP323) to LKQ primed bumpers? the sealer goes on just fine but once i apply paint after the recommended flash time the paint wrinkles. The rep told me that the solvent was penetrating the the primer that they come primed in and not getting a chance to escape before the sealer dries, so ive since stopped sealing there bumpers with great success if i don’t have any gouges to repair in the bumper (same wrinkling happens to the areas that i fixed and prime with DP237) so my question is what method are you guys using to refinish aftermarket bumpers? if i get the pleasure of getting effed over again in the future i will post pictures of said assrametry.

Profile photo of Charles Smith
    Charles Smith
    Participant

The best way to deal with this is to strip the bumper then treat it as raw plastic. But not realistic most of the time. The only way I have found to deal with is to spray my 1st coat of sealer real light, let it flash longer than normal, then apply another coat of sealer and give that an extended flash as well. First coat of base is real light as well. Adding a little clear hardner to your base helps as well.

Chuck

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

sounds more like the sealer wrinkling than anything underneath it ,I think your rep is guessing but a simple test would be to do a test out over another surface ,I suspect you may be laying the base too wet or the sealer is not as dried out as you may think

Take some sealer apply it over even raw steel then following your usual flash times apply your base as you have been doing ,if it wrinkles then theres your answer 😉

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

I have had the same issue. Had one last week that the primer was wrinkled straight out the bag. I was applying a very light coat of sealer (dp26) and then that started wrinkling too.now I Solvent test the primer in hidden spot with some reducer on a rag. If it comes off I just base right over them. Thats what the sticker on the back usually says to do anyway. If it doesn’t come off light coat of sealer. I know your supposed to strip them but whos got time for that. That goes for oe bumpers as well, few weeks ago a Chrysler bumper primer came off with waterbase final wipe (rm909)

Profile photo of jake
    jake
    Participant

actually ive never once had a problem with oem bumpers, and as far as testing my sealer goes ill give it a shot but not holding my breath lol. ive switched to dp323 from dp26. what ever happened to that super thick primer that used to come on after market bumpers? ive never seen this happen on those. another funny thing is lkq swears all day long that im the only one having this problem :rofl

Profile photo of mark henschell
    mark henschell
    Participant

You are not the only one :wak … I hear of this happening every so often. I agree with light coats and additional flash times to try to deal with this, who is ever going to take the time to strip a new bumper?
    I think the manufacturers of these aftermarket replacement covers must be using some real cheap 1K garbage quality primer. I would hope they are at least using some sort of decent adhesion promoter :unsure:

Profile photo of Sam Latimer
    Sam Latimer
    Participant

I use Bulldog brand adhesion promoter on all aftermarket primed covers .I know the tag says not too.and seen covers I painted in the past hold up very well , even in a crash. and only found areas that lift are places where the base coat was sprayed to wet. I stoped useing LKQ reman covers . I found they dont prep there covers well before they prime them .

Profile photo of gunner
    gunner
    Participant

I really wish that the after market would just send there bumpers out raw plastic and let the painter deal with it, so that these problems quit happening.

Profile photo of Sam Latimer
    Sam Latimer
    Participant

Sorry to hear the bumper cover gave you grief . auto body repair can be so rewareding at times. and other times can have one thinking , ” there has to be a esayer way to make a living !” but I think we learn from bad things that we have happen.and learnt to live with the stressful things we have no control of. Toyota and Lexus. and some G.M. OEM. covers come non primed. calling for a different amount of prep work. some times more labor and materials that you cant recoup from the insurance companies. I remember Valspar coming out with a adehison , sealer for raw plastic covers . I ruiend the first cover I used it on ! I’m sure we all had problems of some kind in repairing some how. . and learn from it. just hope it not to costly ! and you can keep it from driving you crazy !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.