Iwata, Sata RP vs HVLP question

Welcome Forums Main Forum Introductions Iwata, Sata RP vs HVLP question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of paul paul 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sam Alexander
    Sam Alexander
    Participant

I am looking to spray my car with base/clearcoat and want to know what brand and type of spray gun is recommended. I hear Sata jets are pretty good. Especially the new 5000. I just don’t know what the advantages are of an HVLP vs RP. Does anyone know? I have also looked into the new iwata supernova entechs. Any thoughts on them?

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

If you are only going to purchase one gun then go for a compliant AKA reduced pressure gun not a HVLP ,a compliant gun will cope easily with base and clear but HVLP tend to struggle with clears and are best reserved for laying base coat

A superb gun at a reasonable price is the iwata bellaria ,I believe the supernova entech is an HVLP gun but that said if you are a novice the supernova in any version is not what I would recommend as they need to be set up correctly in order to perform nicely ,the W400 Bellaria gives similar performance but is less finicky

Sata are nice guns but expensive ,if you do decide to go for one I would not recommend the digital versions as they are expensive to service ,replacement digital gauges are SATA agent only and cannot be purchased as spare part ,going rate in the UK is min £75 service charge plus parts

Profile photo of Sam Alexander
    Sam Alexander
    Participant

Thank you for your advice! I have noticed that Satas are pretty expensive online. The cheapest I could find the 5000RP was for $550 new…which didn’t seem bad for a new sata. I’ll have to take a look into an iwata bellaria as an alternative. Thank you again for your help!

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

Another gun to consider is the iwata WBX 400 ,it is the clear coat gun of choice at Aston Martin UK although I may be contradicting my advise as I think the WBX is a HVLP gun LOL
    I have a couple of friends who work at Aston ,the Devilbiss GTI Pro HVLP is mandatory for base coat but the sprayers can use any gun they want for clear ,they all use the WBX but again the Bellaria is much easier gun to set up and does produce absolutely first class results

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.