fisheye problem

Welcome Forums Main Forum Introductions fisheye problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  travis 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hatin Nathan
    Participant

I’ve worked in several shops in the ten years i’ve been spraying and there was always the threat of getting fisheyes if you didn’t use the wax and grease remover to clean your panel- but I really haven’t had any. Of course there’s the case of laying the base too wet on my first coat and I might get some fisheye mapping but that was really it. I never had any fisheye in my clear coats. That was until I started to work for an undisclosed dealership recently.
    It seems like every other job I do, I’m getting fisheyes- trails of them. It kills me because these are brand new cars plus it adds to the fear of having to reshoot it if they don’t come out after buffing. I get paid flat rate so my hours are shot if I have to redo something.
    I clean the panels with W&GR before I sand and scuff. Before I paint, I use a water borne cleaner, then W&GR, then the Dewipes. I don’t know what I’m missing or what I’m doing wrong to get these fisheyes because I thought I was doing it right.
    If there’s anyone out there who can share some insight on their experiences or share what you do to differently to achieve successful results, please hollarback. Your input is appreciated.

Jack Marshall
    Participant

Do you know you air supply is clean? Do you use an air fed mask? If so does the air coming through smell oily or anything? It shouldn’t smell at all. The compressor could be worn and passing oil.

Also you mention these are brand new cars. Are they being cleaned with silicone based products before they come to you?

From what you say it sounds like your doing everything right and it is something in the environment causing your problem.

Chris
    Participant

Common problem with dealership cars, new or used, they’ve been slimed all over.

Wash well the repair area before you start then Prepsol until the cloth squeaks against the surface. Remember your Mum saying it has to be “squeaky clean”. Prepsol again after repair and then the cous de gras – a fine mist of clean water and wipe off well. Works. šŸ˜‰

Sam Latimer
    Participant

I think the replies to this are great ones to think about ! are you mixing the clear correctly ? are there other painters there having the same problems? is the air going to the gun clean and dry? I had this problem (not in a new car dealership) and found I was reducing the clear to much and the clear I was using didn’t recommend any reducer in it. not added any reducer and using the proper temp activator helped a bunch for me. I went to using a slower activator. I hope your problem has been solved by now ! if you can let me know what helped you the most or the source of it?

travis
    Participant

What clear, activator, reducer are you using? I had this problem in the past. Little fisheyes, turned out to be solvent pop. Try a slower activator. If the base isnt doing it then its probably in the clear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.