Devilbiss vs Devilbiss vs Sagola

Home Forums Main Forum Paint and Refinish Devilbiss vs Devilbiss vs Sagola

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Carl Carl 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Douglas Diehl
    Douglas Diehl
    Participant

I am looking to replace my old suction feed Binks No.7 spray gun with a newer style gun. I am a hobbyist painter and usually paint in a home made booth in my workshop in my barn. I tried some cheaper HVLP guns over the last few years and alsways go back to my Binks as I was vastly disappointed with the atomization and spray patterns as well as the amount of over spray the cheap HVLP’s produced. Some of the over spray I’m sure was my fault since I turned up the air pressure trying to increase the atomization but all in all they were unacceptable even to me.
    Anyways, the two guns I have narrowed my search to are the Devilbiss GFG-670 Plus or the Tekna Prolite. I can’t seem to find any head to head comparisons and was wondering if people here thought the Tekna was worth the extra $100 or so more than the Plus? Both come with multiple tips while the Tekna comes also with 2 different aircaps. I typically have been shooting single stage urethane paints but will also be shooting some basecoat/clearcoat in the future. I have plenty of primer guns and a few touchup guns so this new gun is for color and clear only. I don’t necessarily mind spending the extra dollars since I see this as an investment, but since I only paint a few vehicle a year I don’t want to spend the extra money if the Plus would work just as well. I have a 5HP 2 stage 60 gal compressor so the air requirements between the two doesn’t bother me.

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

The plus should do what you want ,it is a compliant gun rather than HVLP so should clear very well ,the techna prolite with a clear coat aircap should perform a little better than the plus but with experience and practise you should be able to achieve good results with either gun

Douglas Diehl
    Participant

Thank you for your opinion, I’ll take it into consideration. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Profile photo of Glen
    Glen
    Participant

I don’t know how well the plus sprays base coat. The prolite is the base coat gun of choice for a lot of painters. It will spray clear and single stage no prob.

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

As paul said both will get the job done if you know how to set it up but lots of people including me love the pro lite or teckna as its sold in usa

Douglas Diehl
    Participant

Well I think I am going with the Prolite. Eastwood has a TV 1 day special on their Concours Gun kit for $299. Tempting, but I guess I should stay with the Tekna.

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

Great choice, i have got one on order too

Douglas Diehl
    Participant

OK, I thought I had this figured out and was going with the Tekna Prolite but someone just stuck a bug in my ear and told me I should consider the Sagola 4500 Extreme. Cost is a bit higher but not enough to stop me from purchasing. Anyone with an opinion?

Profile photo of Jayson Munro
    Jayson Munro
    Participant

IMO I would go with the prolite instead of the sagola,it is a good gun but it didn’t blow me away.The prolite comes with a digital gauge,extra fluid tips and has a better feel.The sagola feels bulky and unbalanced and not comfortable.Just my opinion and try both guns if you can before purchase.

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

I know nothing about the sagola bar what i have read and seen on YouTube so can’t comment but i am yet to hear any bad feedback from anyone that has used the prolite ! Are parts easy to get hold of for the sagola ? Also the prolite is proven in the field with painters using them day in day out and are pretty bulletproof? Just my opinion mate altho id love to try the sagola myself

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

Sorry didnt realise there was a Sogola option ,hands down the Sagola is the best option ,i have had a few inc the 4300 xtreme epa and a 4100 and 4200 ,in my honest opinion they perform much better than any devilbiss model i have ever used ,finish with the 4300 xtreme is on a par with a supernova

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

Where can you buy these from paul ?

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

sprayguns direct ,there is a 4500 on fleabay at the moment though but the seller has sold and relisted it twice now so i suspect he is bidding it up

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

Yea just found that on ebay mate ! Cheers mate

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

i would have bid it myself but to sell on so the way its going again i wont bother lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.