Cut our large rear panel, need help with replacing

Welcome Forums Main Forum Auto Body Repair Cut our large rear panel, need help with replacing

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Heather 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

phil
    Participant

Hello

Im new to the forum and I’m restoring a 85 hilux single cab. I have cut a large area out of the back and I have ordered a sheet of steel to replace it but was wondering should I just overlap the new panel onto the existing body where I have cut, drill holes and spot weld it in. Or should I be butt welding it in? My concerns with butt welding is it might warp and the fact that its a lot to weld all the way round. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments:

Jack Marshall
    Participant

That is a large hole you have cut there! Was it rotten or just heavily damaged?

I’m not familiar with this particular panel. Is it just a flat panel? No shape or body lines?

I would be tempted to lap it over the top around 10mm or half an inch as butt welding that will be very difficult and probably result in a lot of distortion. You could even joggle the edge to save on filler work later.

Let us know how you get on with it.

phil
    Participant

Haha I thought the cut looked pretty big after I did it. My friend initially cut out a section and butt welded it in but it warped really bad. I had a straight edge across it and threre were low spots up to nearly 12mm so I cut it back out and gonna try do it properly. I have attached an image of how it originally looked and another image of how I want it to look. I basically just want a flat panel in there.

Im not familiar with joggle the edge??? I bought a flange and hole punch tool yesterday so im assuming joggle is to flange the surrounding area….

phil
    Participant

Carl
    Participant

I would get your metal so it over laps the sides then clamp it and use a pencil to mark the curves at sides then carefully cut metal and weld it at the edge where there a little more strengh to it but you will have to go slow when welding it to stop the heat,use an air line and blower to cool it down and do 5 to 10 mm tack weld runs,if ever i weld and just fo long runs it creates lots of heat and warps but is better if i just spot tack if you know what i mean ?

phil
    Participant

Yea thats pretty much what I had planned to do when fabricating the new panel. Only thing was I was going to spot weld the new panel in and place my spot welds 25mm apart all the way round then just skim my edge with some fiberglass filler before finishing it body filler. I can also access the back side and apply seam sealer as well. However from what you are saying I should fully weld it in, im just worried I will distort the panel lol. However I want to do a proper job and if my way can lead to problems down the track I would rather have a go at fully welding it in.

phil
    Participant

Thought i would just clarify this to when I say spot weld it in I mean to punch holes in my new fabricate sheet with a hole punch and plug weld it to the existing body.

Carl
    Participant

Yea sounds good to me bud,you dont have to seam weld all of it if you dont want to,you can do 5 to 10 mm runs every 6-10 inches and a few single tacks in between ? To fully seam weld all that panel would be forever to do and cause lots of heat !

phil
    Participant

Oh awsome thanks for that buddy. I will go ahead and do that then

Carl
    Participant

No probs mate just clamp it tight all the way round first and if not possibble or you run out of vice clamps drill 1/8 hole and use self tapping screws to keep it in place and tight you can remove these snd weld em up after

phil
    Participant

Thats a good idea, thanks for that. I will let you know how I go anyway or if I get stuck

phil
    Participant

Im just curious how much would something like this cost to do, to pretty much get it welded in, apply filler and get it in primer?

Carl
    Participant

Its hard to quote on something like that bud as would need to see it in the flesh,also I’m over in the uk and i presume your usa ?
    I would say £300 to £500 over here as a guess mate

phil
    Participant

Haha thats cheap as bud. You need to move here to australia. I went and got 3 quotes from panel shops for a rough idea and they were all around 3000 aussie dollars. Thats not painted either, just to put it in primer lol. It came out really good though, I had to make up a support frame though cause its such a large area to stop the panel from flexing. Thanks for all the help. Will attach some pics

phil
    Participant

Thanks ☺

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.