clear coat options needed canada

Welcome Forums Main Forum Paint and Refinish clear coat options needed canada

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Jonathan 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan
    Jonathan
    Participant

hello guys so I am losing my hair trying to find a great clear for my personal use.

I need it to be solvent based and will be just air dried.

some talk about
    -southern polyurethane inc
    [img]http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Products/2014photos/4000%20universal%20clear.jpg[/img]

-my local place said the best they have is sherwin williams 2.1 performance plus clear 1100757

[img]http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/wcm/idc/groups/public/@swpublic/@sherwin-williams-automotive/@content/documents/webcontent/mdaw/mdm3/~edisp/swaf_image_1100757_117x147.png[/img]

I would love to get the best product for my car since it is taped up and ready to spray.

my spray gun is sata4000 rp on 1.2

Profile photo of Jayson Munro
    Jayson Munro
    Participant

Well it all boils down to what you have available in your area and where are you going to spray “your car” I can tell you from experience you will not be able to spray spi universal clear with a 1.2(its to thick and sets up to fast) Don’t know anything about sherwill clear never used it.Low voc clears are all solvent based,there are no WB automotive clears available in the north american market that I know of.Tell us what products you are using,if your using a booth,and what products do you have available and maybe we can help.I have sprayed lots of low voc stuff so im sure we can find something…..

Jonathan
    Participant

I use to use the Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 stuff back in the day and was great

then Canada went to water borne and 2.1 voc crap

so then I went to the
    SW finish 1 which was junk
    [img]http://shopforpaint.com/images/pi_749.jpeg[/img]

then went to the ATX line up
    [img]http://atxmodule.sherwin-automotive.com/images/products/1090500_tilt.png[/img]

I am tried of wet sanding and buffing to get it nice. plus even after I do that step few months go by and the shine is not the same

I want to go with PPG 2002 but can’t buy it here
    [img]http://shop.wbmesq.com/images/1360112472099-1269315915.jpeg[/img]

and really want a high end clear.

I have a custom made steel room for painting no heat just fans(home personal use shop)

Jayson Munro
    Participant

Well the deltron 4010 is pretty decent so I am told,sikkens superior 250 is also nice but wouldn’t put it on solvent,matrix ag40 low voc is also nice.I forget the numbers but there is a dupont low voc clear for overalls 8700S?? Are you using a downdraft?

Profile photo of gunner
    gunner
    Participant

Standox pfc 30 is amazing. But needs to be sprayed in a booth. Not cheap either, but you did say high end.

Jonathan
    Participant

another option in my area is
    Tran-star signature clear

Profile photo of Zack
    Zack
    Participant

Deltron 4010 is a real nice clear. I have not used sikkens 250 but a lot of people on here rave about it. It’s a two pack which is nice, it’s not cheap though.

Jonathan
    Participant

going to look up the 4010 now as to sikkens looks like that stuff is for over water base coats not solvent like I am using

plus no idea where to buy it local.

local as of now is the
    sherwin williams 2.1 performance plus clear 1100757 but looks like no one has used it

Profile photo of Ben Hart
    Ben Hart
    Participant

I use Sherwin Williams. They have decent clears, but nothing I would want to spray a complete with in an air dry setting. The 757 clear you mentioned is good, but way to slow for air dry. Even with bake, we have a hard time getting it to kick over. It would take way too long to get out of dust in an air dry environment and would possibly sag badly in that time. 757 needs heat, and lots of it.

I’ll place my vote on Superior 250. Definitely high end, and possibly one of the most user friendly low voc clears. You might consider adding a few drops of the 250 accelerator if you are air drying it. But you will need to use waterbourne base.

So my 2nd vote is 4010. It just came out when I was still using PPG. I have very little experience with it. I wouldn’t call it high end like Superior, but it is a decent mid-tier clear in my opinion. It may not have as much depth or gloss retention as some of the high end baking clears, but your options are limited

Jonathan
    Participant

this would be just to paint roof of car do to some damage from tree.

Ben Hart
    Participant

[quote=”JSS16″ post=36029]this would be just to paint roof of car do to some damage from tree.[/quote]

Well 1 panel is a whole different story…

In that case, I would consider Sherwin Williams HPC21 speed clear. It is air dry only, and a quality product. You would have to use ES55 or ES56 slow reducers. And depending on the size if your roof and your application, you might run into speed issues. You would need to spray this stuff ultra fast and wet. If you have the skills, this is the wAy to go. Or you could mix together the hpc21 and 755 clear, and have more control (if you are ok buying 2 products). Mixed together in the right ratio, they are easy to spray, air dry, and have a high end finish

Jonathan
    Participant

thanks for info I have read about the hpc21 and heard really bad reviews about it. including “die back”

even though this is a small repair I do want to learn now that I have a small practice job to still find the best clear I can get for my future projects

I will try to locate super 250 .

Ben Hart
    Participant

[quote=”JSS16″ post=36031]thanks for info I have read about the hpc21 and heard really bad reviews about it. including “die back”

even though this is a small repair I do want to learn now that I have a small practice job to still find the best clear I can get for my future projects

I will try to locate super 250 .[/quote]

The HPC21 only dies back from improper application. If it does die back, you just need to quickly run compound over it and the gloss comes right up. I haven’t seen or heard of any other issues with it that I can think of.

Otherwise 250 is great stuff. What would you use for basecoat of you go this route?

Jonathan
    Participant

I contacted sikkens to see who sells in ontario canada.

as to this car base is

SW ultra 7000

Jayson Munro
    Participant

I mentioned earlier NOT to put superior 250 over solvent basecoat.I know people who have used it this way and some of the jobs have stuck others have peeled.It is to be used over waterborne basecoat only,that comes from many tech guys that I have asked over the years.I don’t understand why you just don’t use something in your system and its only one panel????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.