Best Restoration Clear (Overall shot in a garage)

Home Forums Main Forum Paint and Refinish Best Restoration Clear (Overall shot in a garage)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of paul paul 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan Hughes
    Dan Hughes
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m looking for opinions on what would be the best option for a Clear sprayed in a garage in the UK (not very warm). I can get Lechler, Max Meyer MS clears, Spies Hecker 8030 HS Clear, Glasurit 923-355, RM Crystaltop, Lesonal, PPG, Nexa. To be sprayed with a GTI Pro.
    With no booth I would imagine some of the HS clears won’t work for me. Ideally, I’d like it all; dust free quickly and yet lays like glass, doesn’t dieback, sets up hard after a week or two (to give me time) and polishes well, lasts for years. But the wish list doesn’t really fit with a lot of modern production clears. I’d try SPI but can’t get it over here. Any recommendations welcome

Profile photo of Jack Marshall
    Jack Marshall
    Participant

Although you may find hs clears harder to spray their is some that can be used without a problem without a booth or bake facility.

I work in a booth without bake and all my clears and glosses are hs. Just use the correct hardeners and it would be fine.

Having said that Ms will generally be easier for you.

I use Lechler HS clear and find it to be a good all round cost effective clear.

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

We have started using the octoral/valspar univarnish our no heat booth and for the money it’s great!

Profile photo of Jack Marshall
    Jack Marshall
    Participant

Carl, where do you get it from? I’ve been wanting to try it for a while but can’t find it anywhere. Is their a choice of hardeners with it?

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

Hi mate we get ours from dbp which is a supplier of all things for the repair shops,not sure on the hardners as we just use fast but think theres a medium too.were in Birmingham mate so not sure if its any where near you. The numbers 0121 707 8744 and im sure they have a website,its based on warwick road, tysley,birmingham,

Carl

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

If your looking for a HS clear that gets out of dust fast I just started using the shopline euro speed clear done a few collisions and one overall on a mustang. The gloss is great! Flash time is 2-5 min between coats so by the time you get around the car your ready for the next coat. Only down side is the buffing window closes pretty fast or you’ll have a hell of a time buffing.

Profile photo of Malcolm Wilson
    Malcolm Wilson
    Participant

Don’t see it in your list but if you can get Debeer’s new air dry clear coat 8-614 it’s a nice clear easy buffed and as name says you can let air dry or bake it’s what I’ve been using past few months and I like it so far so good in fact it’s become the suppliers best selling clear since getting it in I can’t really comment first hand on its air dry times as I bake all the even on a Friday evening I give it ten mins but from what I hear people with no booth love it.
    You’ll need to get its hardner 8-430 is very fast and 8-440 is fast it’s mixed 3-1+5% thinner best to use debeer uni thinner 1-151 medium depending on temp.

http://www.de-beer.com/TDS/en/TDS8-614_EC.pdf

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

We are currently using Glasurit 35VOC ,we have had no issues using Glasurit without heat and it flashes pretty quick ,in fact we prefer to clear without baking ,just let nature take its course ,Glasurit will also stand for a lot of thinners ,many HS and UHS clears really dont like thinners

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

Also lesonal HS extra is one of the best clears I have used ,again no heat required for it either

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.