anyone else have this problem with onyx?

Welcome Forums Main Forum Introductions anyone else have this problem with onyx?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of travis travis 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

Im really starting to dislike onyx (water). Current problem is Chrysler PBU. And have had same problem with most blue colors, a subaru last week. And almost all blue colors. Hb 471 that is causing a horrific violet pitch. The tint is supposed to be on the green side but that is not the case. Anyone else have this problem? The camera makes the color look better than it is.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

I wish I could help you out bondobob but I’m using 100% low voc solvent,have you tried spraying it in solvent,and that’s a pretty transparent colour too,are you able to blend it out

Profile photo of jackcarlson
    jackcarlson
    Participant

i wonder if ya have a bad toner on your bench….looks like theres way 2 much red in it or not enuff black…

Anonymous

I have had some trouble with this color, usually it has to do with the pearls and/or metallic coarseness. You will find some versions that have a violet pearl and some that don’t, it can really throw people off (and make blending impossible).

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

I just mixed solvent ane sprayed it out… mixed to the formula minus thr red pearl (car has no red pearl.) Solvent on left water on right..the faces are quite different also I will get a pic if it will turn out.I wonder what will befaster wipe it off or clear and scuff…

Attachments:
    Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

It turned my picture.. solvent on bottom water on top.

Anonymous

Have you looked at the service formulas on this color? There are quite a few. I’d look for something that doesn’t contain CB34M to begin with.

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

Yes I have them, I have mixed a few in water and left the 34m out also. The face of standard is a little green and coarse In solvent. Maybe because I dont have 202? Took 6 coats then I dumped it on and baked to cover ground coat! Ive been on this color since 11 am fri til 9 last night. Got to shop at 8 this morning.

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

Seems to me the 471 has the red pitch in water… have had this happen with 464 also. I think im gonna try switching to solvent for a while.

Anonymous

Here is a tinting guide for Onyx if you don’t have one, see attached. In colors like this I like to do what you’re doing already, leave a bit out and gradually put it back in. Good luck!

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

The solvent looks better on your spray out well good luck

Profile photo of travis
    travis
    Participant

Thanks guys did not get to see it in full sun, been cloudy past few days. Pic was taken in partial sun. Looks good from far, but far from good haha

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.