Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Clearcoating Headlights

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30896

• Dlambert
  • Gonna be around a while
  • Thank you received: 14
I'm looking for as much information possible on clearing headlights. I've watched Jimmo's vid on it (which is great by the way) but I have some questions/concerns. I have sprayed a few with very nice results. I don't however have access to a clear sprayable adhesion promoter like BASF makes, so I've been using a Transtar spray can a/p . It does alright but I've found out I have to spray it on fairly light. If not it tends to wrinkle. I'm wondering if any one uses something like dupont 222 or posibly nothing under the clear. I've talked with a paint company instructor who said I may be able to get by with no a/p as the solvents in the clear should etch into the plastic ok. Also want to know how well this holds up in a couple yrs. I thinking of doing some on the side at my garage. I know local economies are different but I'd like to know how much to charge or what kind of labor time possibly. I'll take any advice concerning anything about doing this. Thanks. :unsure:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30898

• Jayson M
  • Thank you received: 133
Adpro is a good idea but as long as the light is sanded good with 600-800 and gray scuff pad the edges you will have a mechanical bond.I have done dozens of sets of headlights and smoked many tail lights and have never used adpro with 0 comebacks.If you still need an adpro sikkens p.o. would work for you.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Jayson M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dlambert

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30902

• BBlakley
  • Catching the Buzz
  • Thank you received: 3
I have always prepped with 800 getting as much of the old yellowing milky finish off. I have done a few sets on my personal cars and never had issues. I achieve the desired tint, and spray 2 coats of clear over the tint. If and when it chips it doesn't chip the tint.

Usually charge 150 for up to 300 for full set

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30903

• Dlambert
Is the tint you use like a clear basecoat or a tinted clear? Do you put flex additive in your clear? Thanks for the reply.

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30909

• 79 olds
  • Catching the Buzz
  • Thank you received: 1
I just hand sand with 400 then hit with a couple coats of u tech 4.0 clear and I see zero scratch marks etc come out perfect

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30910

• JackMarshall
  • Been Enjoying the Paint Fumes a While
  • Thank you received: 11
I have never had to reclear headlights to be honest.

I sand all the old coating off first with 600, then 800, 1000 and finally 1500 before polishing back to a shine using your buffer and compound like farecla or 3m.

I do all the sanding with a palm DA, probably only takes 10 minutes per headlight tops.

Ive had them done like this on my own car for the past year and they havnt lost their shine or anything yet and if they do I will probably just break out the DA and buffer again. At least they wont stone chip like clear might?

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30911

• Mal
  • Thank you received: 13
JackMarshall wrote:
I have never had to reclear headlights to be honest.

I sand all the old coating off first with 600, then 800, 1000 and finally 1500 before polishing back to a shine using your buffer and compound like farecla or 3m.

I do all the sanding with a palm DA, probably only takes 10 minutes per headlight tops.

Ive had them done like this on my own car for the past year and they havnt lost their shine or anything yet and if they do I will probably just break out the DA and buffer again. At least they wont stone chip like clear might?

This is all I've ever done as well.

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30916

• Dlambert
Thanks , I,m trying to determine if clearing lights is the way to go or not. In our shop we have sanded and buffed my mom's '05 Maxima several times. They look good for a while but then in a few months ,not so good again. So that's why I'm wondering if clearing headlights with a quality 2k clear with flex additive mlght do better in the long run.

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30917

• Jayson M
  • Thank you received: 133
Just use your regular clear,you don't need flex additive by the time the light flexes it will be broken anyway.Not all flex additives are the same some disappear very soon after curing.

Clearcoating Headlights 1 year 1 month ago #30919

• ding
  • Thank you received: 95
dont make it too complicated. they are only headlamps. Sand and buff them or sand them and throw a coat of clear on them. if you sand ALL the haze out of them and buff them they wont start hazing again for at least a year or more. Most of the time it's just easier to throw a few coats of clear on them though, and they will last longer
Time to create page: 0.888 seconds