Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: This young lady needs help!

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30640

• morgan8222
  • New to Refinish Network
Hello everyone,

I am a college student with a 2006 mustang and I could use some advice! I am thinking someone here could help me out. So, my dad owned a body shop and dealership for 25 years of his life and he was very successful. A few months ago he asked me if I'd like him to do something to my car (it's all white). I thought about it for a while and figured out what I wanted (some stripes). Well, I let him have at it and I am very worried that it's going to be a hack job. He has the stripes on, but there are mistakes. He has gotten older and hasn't painted in a while and it seems like he isn't so.... precise anymore.

1. Some spots on the tape line have leaked and there are areas where the edges are not sharp.
2. There are a few spots where it looks like the tape or paper rubbed the paint off before it was dry.
3. there are a few small runs.

After I noticed these things half way through, I would be with him and take off the tape and paper (and that prevented more mistakes).
I am scared my paint job is just wrecked. I do not know what to do. The paint is all on and it hasn't been sanded or polished (or whatever you're supposed to do) yet.

Could ANYONE help me out here? I need to sort of take the reigns and figure out what to do because he apparently can't see the mistakes. I need my car to drive; I can't just leave it sit there. I also can't afford to take it to someone to fix. I guess I am looking for some guidance on what to do.

These are the sort of questions I have:
1. HOW do you fix runs? Do you "sand" with something before polishing?
2. Is there anything one can do to sharpen the edges? Is "sanding" it going to soften the line?

I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I am desperate! I am pretty good at hands on/mechanical stuff if that means anything.
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by morgan8222.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30641

• rikka23
  • Been Enjoying the Paint Fumes a While
  • Thank you received: 16
Hey matey, if you can get pictures up that will be a great help. Do you have any understanding on the paint side.
As I'd like to explain some tips you can try. Do you understand on how to wet flat and polish,
Also do you know if the paint is water base or solvent.
Is the paint air dried in a garage or baked in an oven

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30644

• rikka23

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30645

• morgan8222
Okay, I put up a few pictures. I do not have any understand on the paint side. I think I heard that the paint is acrylic enamel single stage? If that makes any sense? And the paint is air dried in the garage.

I can do a good job following any kind of instructions, but I feel like it's messed up too much.

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30646

• rikka23
Hey, do you know how many coats of paint he put on plus how he prep it, I can think of couple of things to do or try but if they don't work then the paint work had to be taken to a body shop to be fixed, so I don't want to put you in that spot and make you splash the cash lol. It big hard for me to explain and tell you as I'm English and spelling is rubbish from be dialectic,
If you can get hold of jimmo, Ben , ding and jemeryb are all great guys with years behind them

I most say through its a beautiful car :) why did you want strips put on.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by rikka23.

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30648

• morgan8222
I don't know how many coats, but it sure looks thick. I think he sanded it with a rougher sand paper and then with very fine sand paper with water? He then wiped it down with something that was supposed to make sure it was clean (I guess).
I love my car. It's a lot of fun! He brought up the idea of strips. I was kind of unsure about it, but I said yes. I am regretting all of it. :(

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30649

• rikka23
It's going to sound bad but you need to let the pros have a look at a body shop as most of the ways will mean re sanding, prime ring and repainting the car to factory colour with out the strips, I'm sorry to say, but that's how I'd go but it, and get the car bad to its better looking state.

I'd love to own, drive or paint a ( American car) I've never had the chance ha ha

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30650

• hating-painting
  • Thank you received: 10
Find somebody that can wet sand and polish the edge down a bit. A pin striper may be able to run a brush around the edges to straighten them up.

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30651

• morgan8222
I can't do that right now. 1. Can't afford it. 2. Dad wouldn't go for that.
He thinks it looks good and he can fix this stuff. I'm stuck. I can't be driving it around looking like that.

This young lady needs help! 1 year 4 months ago #30652

• morgan8222
About how much will having someone fix it best they can cost?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds