Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Matte kandy stripes on gloss base

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29687

• gtome
  • Been Enjoying the Paint Fumes a While
Looks a little slow in here so i thought id share what this crazy chick wants from me. She has a Honda 929, and wants it gloss black base, with something like a HOK kandy brandywine tri stage MATTE stripe on it. What would be the easiest way to do it? Spray the silver/gold kandy base down first, tape off stripe, spray black base and clear, unmask stripe and mask the black off, spray the kandy and flattened clear? But that will leave a funny line between the 2 that would require pinstripes. Also matte would defete the purpose of the kandy.
Id rather do it gloss black base/clear, followed by a single stage matte stripe, but you know girls! Picky and stubborn!

Maybe spray the black base, tape off and spray the silver/gold kandy base, anmask, spray the kandy (shouldnt show on the black part), clear it all, mask off around the stripe and spray a flattened clear over just the stripe part?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by gtome.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29688

• ding
  • Thank you received: 94
Candy it all first and clear, mask of the stripe and spray the black. clear entire tank again. then scuff and shoot the stripe with flat clear

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29690

• gtome
Nice. Never thought of that way. May be the least steps.

Think if I feathered the base/kandy out just a little further than the stripe the clear would hide it? Or would I need to base/kandy it completely? Kandy isnt cheap, so the less I use the better. But I dont want to be able to see the overspray/blend. Maybe blending agent first?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by gtome.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29701

• ARTSPRAY
  • Thank you received: 13
i have long been concidering doing a matte candy job ,i actualy think its a nice effect
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ARTSPRAY.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29704

• ScottB
  • Thank you received: 10
Kandy will lose it's effect when matte because the principles of refraction and relection are are altered, resulting in diminished perception of depth. Snell's Law. It would look like a wetsanded cleared kandy job prior to flowcoating. Depending on the hue desired and graphics layout, you could use KBCs instead of traditional BC with KK/SG100 over it if matte is the objective and a kandy product is a must have. Candy with a "C" for the non HOK products.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29705

• gtome
I saw an old Lincoln painted solid kandy matte and it was kinda neat. But for all the effort involved I think there are better options. That's a lot of money to dump into a matte job. With her matte stripe idea, a flat single stage in something similar would be much easier, much cheaper, and probably turn out much better in the end.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29707

• hating-painting
Maybe do a spray out first to see if reality matches her vision.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29708

• ScottB
SS will not produce the same effect as kandy, even if it is matte. There is still depth in matte kandy, just not nearly as much as gloss. Matte SS will look like flashed BC....dead. It's not difficult to do what she wants, just do it like Ding suggests. If you blow KBC over the black base and it's the hue you want, it's easier yet. T&M is irrelevant if a customer wants a certain look. Pay it, change job specs, or go somewhere else.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ScottB.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29711

• strawberry
  • Gonna be around a while
  • Thank you received: 2
Def do a spray out to show her half gloss kandy half flat kandy. She could see what she losses with flat over kandy. Maybe gloss black and gloss kandy with just a small srtipe of flat on top of kandy. She can still enjoy true effect of kandy with a little flat. I think if she doesnt understand kandy, spray out will help to persuade her for afew changes in her idea.

Matte kandy stripes on gloss base 1 year 2 months ago #29712

• strawberry
  • Gonna be around a while
  • Thank you received: 2
I got an idea. Spray gloss black and gloss candy. Lay a 1/4in fine line inside kandy. Tape off black. Flat clear kandy area then pull out 1/4tape for a nice gloss stripe revealing true kandy while satisfying the flat kandy thing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds