Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: STATIC ISSUES...

STATIC ISSUES... 1 year 8 months ago #28777

• L78-KIDD
  • New to Refinish Network
I usually check in on this forum every now and then if I need some answers or if I am researching a product so I guess it’s
time to ask a question. I am having Serious Static Issues in my spray booth and not just plastic parts. I have a Nova Verta
Downdraft and we recently installed a Direct Fire heater in it. We finally had enough of the oil-fired heater. I called my
BASF jobber and explained my problem and he told me to throw a chain over the rear of the cars to ground them…. I laughed and
told him they don’t use solid axel rears in today’s cars. When we built the booth I know for a fact that we did not ground the
metal chassis. It’s bolted down but that will not work as an earth ground. I was thinking about putting in a few 8-foot ground
spikes to ground the chassis and floor of the booth. I have been using anti-stat wipes, being real careful with the blowgun and
my hair still stands at attention when I wave my arm over anything plastic. I know from my Computer Repair Days at NCR that Dry
Moving Air will cause static…
I am open to any suggestions that may help me out with this problem.
Thanks,
Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

STATIC ISSUES... 1 year 8 months ago #28779

• ryan999
  • Thank you received: 73
wipe down with solvent cleaner then waterborne. blow tack and use these last

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/Division/DeVilbiss/DeVilbissClean/DeVilbissDeWipeOuts.aspx

Or do the same steps but put some PPG DX103 in a spraygun and mist some on the panels your painting.

I like the wipes better simply because they will help clean, you can never have a car clean enough
Don't eat yellow snow!

Check your mic
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by ryan999.

STATIC ISSUES... 1 year 8 months ago #28789

• lild
  • Been Enjoying the Paint Fumes a While
  • Thank you received: 33
make sure when you use the wipes, to wipe in one direction, that helps alot. and the dx103 in the gun is what i do, but don't use on bumpers, especially on am covers, it spots the am primers.

but if it helps any, i noticed that when it got colder out, even though i have a heated booth, the static is worse.

and the whole chain ground thing is a myth.

STATIC ISSUES... 1 year 8 months ago #28794

• TLB
  • Gonna be around a while
I remember a product that PPG had over 20 years ago that was called STAT FREE. It was a small 2oz bottle that you added to reducer and sprayed on you parts before you started.

Sounds close to the product posted above.

STATIC ISSUES... 1 year 8 months ago #28803

• ding
  • Thank you received: 97
lild wrote:
but if it helps any, i noticed that when it got colder out, even though i have a heated booth, the static is worse.

Thats because the air is drier :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: lild

STATIC ISSUES... 1 year 8 months ago #28808

• lild
  • Been Enjoying the Paint Fumes a While
  • Thank you received: 33
ding wrote:
lild wrote:

Thats because the air is drier :p
you just got'd thank you. :chair
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds